“Solent Protection exists to ensure the ecological and environmental well-being and wise management of the Solent area, its natural beauty and amenities, so that these may continue to be enjoyed by present and future generations.”
The wider Solent area, including harbours, foreshores and surrounding lands, extends from Chichester Harbour in the east to the Needles channel in the west.
Please report to the Secretary any matters of relevant interest or concern in your area.
Most of the work of the Society is undertaken by the Council. Council members often represent a region of the Solent (e.g. Isle of Wight, Chichester Harbour, etc), or have a specialist expertise such as planning or environment management.
The Council works with the membership in the following ways:-
- News collation – see our News and Blog sections
- Explaining how Solent works (like interviews with ABP, Solent Forum, etc)
- Guest blogs by well informed and authoritative authors
- Analysis of new legislation
- Exploit the flickr asset
- Entertain with pictures,videos and extracts from other media (flickr, facebook, twitter)
- Report our successes and failures
- Web Forum
- Questionnaires and surveys
Conferences and Events
- Major annual conference
- Sponsoring other conferences
- Winter lecture programme
- Member visits and organised trips in the Solent area
- on Planning applications
- responses to Government and other local consultations
- Only NGO member of Solent Forum Steering Group
Supporting other local bodies
- Grant programme
- Conservation awards
- Coordination of smaller charities to respond to threats
- Providing a platform for others to put their case
By joining Solent Protection Society, you can have your say in our Forum and tell us which issues are important to you.